Saturday, January 15, 2011

i insane

I’m not a good student… I don’t sit in the library and mug up MCQ books. I don’t know which common questions they ask frequently in the entrance exam, to be honest, I don’t even know exactly how many and which subjects they’re supposed to ask questions on, what I try to read is everything available about the diseases I encounter in the OPD and my beloved neuroscience. I don’t plan, and I don’t want to appear for that exam. I don’t want to be a physician… don’t want to spend my life in the hospitals trying to offer already available treatments which may or may not be effective, and in trying to fight against the disorders disabilities tragedies and curses with maybe partially useful or totally futile or guess based regime weapons, and in trying to be satisfied for offering the treatments to needy ones no matter what the results say…

I don’t hate doctors… really, and I do salute their contribution in the health care system, because if we remove doctors the system will be totally paralyzed… but I don’t want to be one. A doctor has to be practical (yes, I’m speaking of an ideal doctor… and not about the money making robotic machines devoid of their own brains and alas, also of hearts!). She can’t be enthusiastic- the doctor, can’t be drastic… can’t cross the boundaries. She just can’t be curious beyond a certain limit. And she’s helpless; she has to adjust with the scanty diagnostic facilities and primitive like treatments even though she’s working in a most advanced setup (leave apart something like what I experience here)… she has to see failures, she has to face conditions where there is no treatment… there are diseases with no cure, and there are people who get them, and come to her with great hopes… like a machine, she has to take consent and has to convince the patient about the scant regimes and potential hazards of those regimes, and to tell that to the disease there is no treatment.

When she decides to go beyond the limits and to expand the boundaries, to question the regimes and the pathological conditions and mechanisms in physiology, wants to seek something better and safer…, she’s not a doctor, she’s a scientist. I know a doctor is not supposed to play the god though some people still do call her a god, neither a scientist an idol. But… but… but why to accept the limitations, why to surrender the pathological processes and traditional treatment regimes when you believe that something better can be found out? Why to spend life in prescribing VDRL and then ART to thousands of AIDS patients rather than trying to defeat the HIV in total…? Why to go for AMP or nailing and plating and working on live human’s bone/s as on a piece of wood rather than finding something that’ll deposit natural bone where it was and how it was before the accident? Why to give something as hazardous as steroids or cytotoxic drugs to control inflammation? Why is in cases of fights and crimes, MLC papers and signs and signatures and proofs and photos more important than the fact or facts why the heck their brains became so violent? Of course, there is some answer/s to every why, but alas, none meets my satisfaction…

And I, like some unsatisfied wandering spirit keep on thinking of research while working as a doctor in my hospital… and my mind keeps on hovering between the reality and my dream world…

No comments:

Post a Comment